If you’ve injured your knee, you may need an ACL reconstruction. Taking the proper precautions before your surgery helps speed up recovery and makes you stronger during and after the procedure. Here are eight important steps to take before surgery day.
- Talk to your doctor – Discuss your diagnosis, all treatment options, the cause of your injury, and what to expect during the knee surgery. This is also a good time to ask any other questions you may have.
- Complete any necessary physical therapy – Your doctor may suggest undergoing a physical therapy regimen prior to surgery. This is because going into surgery with a stiff or swollen knee prevents a full recovery.
- Determine when to stop medications – Inform your doctor of all medications you’re currently on. He or she will then let you know which ones are all right to continue, and when you should pause the ones that aren’t compatible with your procedure.
- Limit risky knee movements – Make sure you take every effort to protect the injured knee before surgery.
Arrange for transportation – This knee surgery is an outpatient procedure, but you will need to be driven home due to medication necessary for the process.
- Get support from a friend or family member – Even the smallest of surgeries can be daunting. Employ the support of a loved one to sit with you the day of your procedure in order to help you stay calm and relaxed.
- Straighten out insurance and costs – It’s important to inform your insurance company of your knee surgery before it happens. This gives you an idea of what your out-of-pocket financial responsibility will be, and ensures payment from the insurance company.
- Plan ahead – As soon as you schedule your knee surgery, inform your employer and/or coworkers. Your recovery time will likely be longer than a month, so arrange for any necessary help around the house or at work.
At Specialty Orthopaedic Surgery, we have everything you need for a successful knee surgery and recovery. Request an appointment to learn more.